The Secret Life Of Ants
Here are a few interesting facts about the life of ants. After you've read this, you'll probably want to take action right away to rid your home and your lawn of those unwanted insects.
- There are 3 kinds of ants in a colony: the queen, female workers, and males.
- There are at least 12,000 species of ants worldwide.
- Ants can carry 50 times their own weight.
- Ants are the longest living insects: some can live up to 30 years!
- One of the largest ant hills ever found spread over 6000 km.
- Ants don't have ears; they "hear" by feeling vibrations in the ground.
- Ants started farming 50 million years before humans.
- To prevent and get rid of ants indoors, store food in sealed containers and wash floors and kitchen counters frequently.
- The largest known ant species was 2.4 inches long, but it is not alive today.
- Ants survived a mass extinction that wiped out many dinosaurs 65 million years ago.
- Ants communicate with each other by using chemical substances.
- Ants don't have lungs. They have their own breathing system which transports oxygen around their bodies.
- There are 1 million ants for every human in the world.