The Secret Life of Slugs
Here are a few interesting facts about the life of slugs. After you've read this, you'll probably want to take action right away to take control over them.
- Slugs can be destructive to gardens, farms and landscaped areas. They eat many times their own body weight each night and destroy plants beyond recovery.
- Every plant, vegetable and flower can serve as food for slugs.
- Land slugs have a slimy body which prevents them from drying out.
- Only 5% of the slug population appears aboveground at any time.
- Heavily infested fields can have approximately 9 slugs per square foot.
- In favourable conditions, a slug can live up to 6 years.
- They used to live in the ocean, which is why they need to keep moist.
- There are 30 slug species.
- Slug eggs can be present everywhere in the soil. They can remain there for years and hatch when conditions are right.
- They only have one lung. Slugs breathe using their lung or skin.
- Slugs have both male and female reproductive organs.
- They can stretch out to 20 times their normal length.